Carl. e. Poli
CARL E. POLI
- Federal and state commercial and employment litigation, corporate litigation, commercial fraud disputes, tax and securities litigation.
- From 1978 to 1983, served as a sole associate in a 5 partner firm of McHugh, Lang & Heftman. Emphasis on securities, contract and other commercial and corporate litigation. Real estate and contractual transactions. Appointed secretary and general counsel of multi-million dollar Illinois corporation with manufacturing operations in two other states and national and international sales. Numerous real estate and contractual transactions. Responsible for the retention and supervision of counsel in out of state litigation matters.
- From 1983 to 1988 member of a general practice firm of Engerman & Erlich, Ltd. Emphasis in federal and state civil fraud, securities, contract, employment and other commercial litigation and appeals. Represented clients before the United States Supreme Court, and the Illinois Appellate and Supreme Courts. Language skills used in representation of importer. Negotiated and drafted international sales contracts and translated the same from English into Italian and vice-versa. U.C.C. contract and antitrust litigation resulted in multi-million dollar settlement for client from a major oil company.
- From 1988 to the present member of Stone, McGuire and Siegel. Emphasis in federal and state commercial and employment litigation; corporate, partnership and other business litigation matters. Commercial fraud disputes. Responsible for negotiating and drafting commercial, employment and adversarial settlement contracts. Tax Court litigation. Represented a large Chicago area municipality in 20 federal and state securities fraud cases resulting from loss of millions of dollars in pension funds in securities trades. Represented CEO of Fortune 500 public company in over a dozen federal and state securities fraud class action cases resulting from losses alleged to be in the billions of dollars. Experience in the retention and supervision of local counsel for litigation matters in several different venues in the United States, Canada, Switzerland and Italy. Representation of businesses in regulatory and employment issues. Represented clients before the California and Utah Supreme Courts. Chair-qualified arbitrator for the Circuit Court of Cook County Mandatory Arbitration Program.
- Member of the Illinois Attorney Registration and Disciplinary Commissions' hearing Board and Oversight Committee.
- All Illinois Courts
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth, Fifth and Seventh Districts
- United States District Courts for the Northern and Central Districts of Illinois
- United States Tax Court.
- DePaul University, J.D., Summa Cum Laude, 1978.
- University of Illinois School of Urban Development and Planning, 1975 Concentration: urban policy and land use law
- Loyola University Chicago and Rome, 1974; Bachelor or Arts Degree, Magna Cum Laude
- (1) Tax Return Preparer Penalties for Returns Reflecting an Understatement of Liability: Internal Revenue Code Section 6694, Illinois CPA Society Convention, Rosemont, IL, August 2008;(2) Limited Liability Companies and Limited Liability Partnerships, Structure and Taxation, 1996 Federal Tax Seminar for Certified Public Accountants, Homewood, Illinois, Winter, 1996.(3) OSHA Structure & OSHA Penalties, An Overview For Accountants, Success Institute Seminar for Certified Public Accountants, Rosemont, Illinois, Fall, 1992;(4) Copyright Litigation From Complaint to Appeal, DePaul University College of Law, Fall 1989. Teaching Assistant: Legal Writing, University of Illinois, 1974-1975.
Carl E. Poli