Direct: (847) 239-7557
Mobile: (847) 337-4739
Carl was born in Italy and immigrated to the United States when he was a small child. He graduated from Loyola University of Chicago, magna cum laude, and from the DePaul College of Law, summa cum laude, at the top of his class.
Carl has been in private practice for several years where he acquired a tremendous amount of experience in managing a wide array of business litigation matters, ranging from mundane contract litigation to highly complex and sophisticated financial markets class actions. His business litigation experience extends to hundreds of cases in many different venues including the United States Supreme Court; the Supreme Courts of California, Illinois and Utah; several different federal and state trial and appellate level courts; many different administrative agencies; and even to two Canadian courts. This has, of course, included many investigations; contested hearings; innumerable briefs and oral arguments; trials, and management of electronic discovery, including implementation of litigation holds. In a class action financial markets case where Carl represented executives of a Fortune 500 company, his brief opposing class certification convinced the court to deny the certification. This reduced the clients’ exposure to liability from approximately $400 million to only $30,000.
Carl has also handled dozens of employment defense cases in the state and federal courts, and before administrative agencies such as the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and the Illinois Department of Human Rights.
Carl also has extensive experience in non-litigation matters, including ascertaining and resolving contractual, employment, litigation, compliance, policy and regulatory issues and advising management in the decision making process and in developing and implementing legal strategies to support objectives, including the minimization of future litigation risks. Over the years, Carl has negotiated and drafted innumerable contracts, ranging from simple leases to very complex commercial agreements, as well as termination agreements for executives of Fortune 500 companies.
Because of the varied nature of his practice and his foreign language abilities, Carl has experience in collaborating with, and in retaining, supervising and monitoring outside counsel regarding both litigation and non-litigation matters in many different venues in the United States, as well as in Italy, Austria, Canada, Germany, Switzerland and Spain.
After vetting Carl for his professional ethics, integrity and ability, the Illinois Supreme Court appointed Carl to act as a Panel Chair for the Illinois Attorney Registration and Disciplinary Commission’s Hearing Board. In that capacity, Carl has presided in dozens of cases brought against attorneys accused of ethical and professional misconduct. He does this work on a volunteer basis.
Carl also served for several years as a Chair-qualified Arbitrator for The Circuit Court of Cook County Mandatory Arbitration Program. In that capacity, he conducted hearings and decided disputes between litigants.
For additional information about Carl, you can view the anonymous comments made about his abilities by other members of the bar and the judiciary, by clicking the logo below. Based on these anonymous evaluations, Carl received the highest possible Peer Review Ratings® for professional ability and high ethical standards.
- All Illinois Courts
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth, Fifth and Seventh Circuits
- United States District Courts for the Northern and Central Districts of Illinois
- United States Tax Court.
- DePaul University, J.D., with high honors, 1978.
- University of Illinois School of Urban Development and Planning, 1975 Concentration: urban policy and land use law
- Loyola University Chicago and Rome, 1974; Bachelor or Arts Degree, Magna Cum Laude
- Tax Return Preparer Penalties for Returns Reflecting an Understatement of Liability: Internal Revenue Code Section 6694, Illinois CPA Society Convention, Rosemont, IL, August 2008.
- Limited Liability Companies and Limited Liability Partnerships, Structure and Taxation, 1996 Federal Tax Seminar for Certified Public Accountants, Homewood, Illinois, Winter, 1996.
- OSHA Structure & OSHA Penalties, An Overview For Accountants, Success Institute Seminar for Certified Public Accountants, Rosemont, Illinois, Fall, 1992.
- Copyright Litigation From Complaint to Appeal, DePaul University College of Law, Fall 1989. Teaching Assistant: Legal Writing, University of Illinois, 1974-1975.